Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Birth Mother's Day

I read this on a Yahoo group and wanted to share the link. "Inviting the Birth Mother".
The link is to Jean McLeod's essay on how she and her daughter came to terms about her daughter's birth mother.
Also, Cindi (in China NOW!) wrote her thoughts about the birth mother.

There are so many unique ways to celebrate and be respectful to the memory of the birth mother. One way we plan to honor her (until Alyzabeth tells us differently) is to light a candle on the day before Mother's Day. We will add poems to read and discuss anything that Lizzy needs to talk about.
We will have these small celebrations throughout the year (example: on "Forever Family Day") so that her adoption will be an open and honest discussion with us (age appropriate of course!). We will see how she responds to others outside our cozy family circle when they ask private questions. All I know is we will take our cue from Lizzy.

Are you or have you made plans to honor the birth mother?

Sweet 16 to Alyzabeth!!

9 comments:

OziMum said...

AFter waiting 30 months?... 16 days should be easy!

...I just cry whenever I think of Mini's birthmother. She is doing what I would find impossible... yet is the greatest gift in the world. I feel so heartbroken, yet know there will be so much joy for me ~ I can't help but feel a little guilty?

Dannye said...

Yes our friends do come home tonite, and yes I am going to the airport to meet them (along with my mom, Ray works tonite), what's a homecoming without friends to greet you with posters and balloons, and capturing the whole thing on video/camera?

Anonymous said...

What a thoughful post. Thanks for sharing the links.

Referral Day can't come quick enough,
- Dave Curewitz

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

This is something we all have to think about as adoptive parents.

I often think about Sarah's Mom...it was a closed adoption, so I have never met the Birth mom and she has never met us....I have so much respect for what she went through and for giving us this beautiful child, but at the same time I can't help but feel sad for her!

Great topic as always!

Are we there yet???

Lisalk

a Tonggu Momma said...

We do several things to honor the Tongginator's birthparents. Mother's Day being one special day... but also during the Moon Festival in the fall. I'll post about how we celebrate that holiday during the actual time.

Y'all are getting close!!!

Briana's Mom said...

I love this post. Now that Briana is getting older, I want to start honoring her birth mother (and her foster mother). She is still a little too young to understand, but one day in the not so distant future, I know will get asked the question about her birth mom. I am definitely trying to prepare for that day.

OH MY #6 said...

OK, so what are you doing with your self's these count down days?

Oh my work so close!

Lea
xo

Anonymous said...

Why the day before Mother's Day?

Kim said...

Happy 16 ....
Count down can go a little faster..
I am sooo ready to see her pretty little face..
HUGS....