Saturday, August 26, 2006

Finances - The Bible's Way

Since completing a Crown Financial small group study a few years back, we have stayed active in its principles by leading the study in our local church. Below is a bit of information about the Crown Financial 10 week bible study.
From the web site: Crown Financial Ministries is an interdenominational ministry that uses a remarkably effective Small Group Bible Study to train adults to practically apply the financial principles from God's Word. Most Christians have been taught only God's principles of handling 10 percent of their income the area of giving. Although this is crucial, they do not understand the Lord's perspective on handling the other 90 percent.

The class does have weekly homework which includes one Bible verse to memorize each week. These verses will give you an idea about the class study for that particular week. It is by far the most favorite small group study we have taken and we would highly recommend the material to any church. Here's are the ten weekly verses each new group memorizes: 1. Therefore if you have not been faithful in the use of worldly wealth, who will entrust the true riches to you? Luke 16:11 2. Everything in the heavens and earth is yours, O Lord, and this is your kingdom. We adore you as being in control of everything. Riches and honor come from you alone, and you are the Ruler of all mankind; your hand controls power and might, and it is at your discretion that men are made great and given strength. 1 Chronicles 29:11-12 3. Just as the rich rule the poor, so the borrower is servant to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 4. The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man is he who listens to counsel. Proverbs 12:15 5. You shall not steal, nor deal falsely, nor lie to one another. Leviticus 19:11 6. Remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. Acts 20:3 7. Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. Colossians 3:23-24 8. Steady plodding brings prosperity; hasty speculation brings poverty. Proverbs 21:5 9. I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I know how to live in prosperity. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:11-13 10. What does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul. Mark 8:36

Once again, this is a great class for adults of all ages to learn the Bible perspective on handling His money. The class can have an especially significant impact on young adults and families just starting out. In this world of credit cards, large debt from student loans, cars and other expensive toys, the class really gets the discussions flowing. Crown also offers material for younger students which we have yet to be involved with. We continue to really enjoy the fellowship that these classes naturally encourage. We recently completed leading another class, this time at a neighboring local United Methodist church in our area. Here's a picture of the church leaders and students we had the pleasure of leading in this class. Congratulation to our newest Crown Graduates!!!

No comments: